|Fig. 931.10 Tetrahedral Characteristics of Chemical
Bonding: Tetrahelix: Chemical bonds as
demonstrated by arrangements of tetrahedra:
- The single-bonded tetrahedron system is like an engineering
pin joint: it can move in any direction.
It characterizes the behavior of gases.
- The double-bonded tetrahedron system is like and
engineering hinge joint: it can rotate about an
axis. It characterizes the behavior of liquids.
- The triple-bonded tetrahedron system is like and
engineering fixed joint: it is rigid. It demonstrates
the behavior of crystalline substances.
- & E. The quadri-bond and mid-edge-coordinate tetrahedron
systems demonstrate the super strength of
substances such as diamond and the metals.
- The tetrahelix: a helical array of triple-bonded
Copyright © 1997 Estate of R. Buckminster Fuller